Sunday, February 12, 2012

what men want - ntv7 10.00pm every saturday

had the privilege to catch this reality tv series entitled "What Men Want" on ntv7 last night. It was an hour of my life that I will never get back, and I had to waste it on such pretentious drivel. Some background - it's a reality show produced by ntv7 which sets up six young Malaysian men in a penthouse seeking to understand what drives the male pscyche (source, Daily Chilli). There is a sensitive singer songwriter that makes orgasmic faces when he howls sings, a smarmy photographer, a cartoonist who caters to her girlfriend's every whim and fancy, the token annoying joker, another guy that wears business suits and there is this other guy who is also mommy's boy. Between the six of them, I couldn't decide which one I wanted to punch most in the face.

I don't know about you guys but real men don't go around the streets of KL moping with a pensive look on their faces, looking lost and melancholy. Nor do they obsess so much about love lives, be abused by their crazy, bossy girlfriends (in this episode I saw, the girlfriend of one of the characters demanded him to go see her NOW and then proceeded to speak in a baby voice "Come faster ya"), write romantic songs on the rooftop (songs which by the way made my ears bleed), hold hands while driving in the car (in the same scene, the girlfriend of the mommy's boy whiningly pestered him to get married. I'm proud of you girlfriend, NOT!) or mumble monotonously when they speak. Seriously, I was embarassed for all the men and their girlfriends or friends on the show. The real men I know in real life have fulfilling careers, they have healthy relationships with the people around them, their lives do not revolve around love and sex, they do the plumbing, change light bulbs and tyres, take out trash, repair door knobs and everything else that is broken - THEY SURE AS HELL DO NOT MOPE AND MUMBLE AROUND THE STREETS OF KL!

My fucking goodness, words cannot describe how much I detest this dumb reality show! Instead of using the opportunity to dispel the myth that all men care about are women and sex, it further perpetuates the idea and could possibly influence impressionable young minds out there into believing that these kind of men are what women want. We want articulate, intelligent men that have the ability to inspire, well-balanced individuals with diverse interests and hobbies, men who are gentle yet strong, men who don't sit around the apartment with their buddies talking about women (seriously I don't know any men that does this. All the men I know do testosterone laden activities with their guy buddies like discuss politics over beers or play badminton), the men represented on the show are just a bunch of pussies. Do guys really act the way that they do on this reality show or am I just missing something? Fail ntv7, big utter FAIL!

p/s Rest assured, I'll be tuning in next week. I need the unintentional comedy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across your blog while searching for signs that Malaysians haven't lost their marbles consuming that asinine program.

How did you endure a whole hour of the show? I only saw a few minutes of it and instantly hurl abusive words at the TV. Reality? They must have spent hours setting up camera positions, fixing shots, and creating those awful scenes.

We're being dumbed down by producers who think that Malaysian viewers are enamored by metropolitan lifestyle and couldn't put two and two together of what's real and what's rehearsed. Now, I'm missing Yasmin Ahmad. Anyway rant over.