Monday, January 20, 2014

I had a pretty eventful weekend, considering that I was expecting a quiet one. To kick off the weekend, I went for a morning swim, came back and bummed a little, was on the internet doing unproductive shit for a few hours, did some laundry, headed down to town because I needed to purchase bus tickets, came back and rested for a bit. In the evening, I hauled my ass out of the house, went to a nearby mall to grab dinner (aglio olio) and booked a movie ticket (The Lone Survivor) for one. I thought the movie was too sentimental. I am an avid fan of war movies (and books for that matter), however this one fell a little short, in my opinion. I felt that the background music was a little out of place and distracting. The movie is based on the true accounts of the surviving SEAL who went on an operation that obviously failed (the SEALs made a fatal mistake that compromised the mission and cost all their lives, and more, except one. Don't they know that the needs of many outweigh the needs of a few? I quote Spock) so it is interesting to see the Afghan war played out on the big screen. I have seen many movies on WW2, but not so much on the ongoing war in Afghanistan. I wonder how many more US troops will have to die for a war that is not even theirs, before it ends. 

The movie only started at 9.20 pm and I was early so to kill time, I went to the arcade to shoot some hoops. I scored 15 goals (at least). 
Solo Saturday night fun!
















Today, I met my landlord for lunch (nasi dagang), hung out with her at home, went for yoga class and to the temple after that. I spent about 30 minutes at the temple (praying and communicating to a higher power) and I know I wrote previously about my inability to believe and trust God but sometimes, one gets hopelessly lost that religion seems to be the only answer. 

I am disappointed to say that I did almost no reading this weekend. I will have to catch up on the book I am currently reading, Jeffery Eugenides's The Virgin Suicides). Books I have read so far in 2014:

1. Life of Pi, Yann Martel (Reread)
2. Atonement, Ian McEwan (Reread)
3. Fault of Our Stars, John Green  

I hope you are well and happy. It may seem futile for you to know this, but I think of you most before I fall asleep. In the silence of an eternal night, I succumb to loneliness and I am consumed with unspeakable sadness that I drift to sleep with tears on my pillow. 

No comments: