Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Monday blues...did not have a productive day at work. Spent most of my time reading feng shui stuff (I bought a cut out of a dragon in red to put in the office, so I was reading up on where I should place the dragon for maximum luck. Dragon symbolizes many things in Chinese culture - among others, prosperity, abundance, success, power, courage...). I also need to buy a metal photo frame (it has to be metal and not wood, that's how specific it has to be) and I must place this at the east of my desk, and the dragon should be no higher than eye level. Feng shui must be done correctly (as in you must place the correct object at the appropriate place) otherwise it will not yield positive results. 

I did some reading in the train today, had salad for dinner, scrubbed my toilet and I am now waiting to watch Criminal Minds on television. 

I was just thinking yesterday, once I am done with my CPA exams (hopefully I pass my last paper which I will be sitting for in April), I am planning to enroll myself in language school to learn Mandarin. I am done with a lifetime of not understanding my mother tongue (although I speak proficient Hokkien this does not count as it is merely a dialect). 29 years of denying such an integral part of my own cultural identity is embarrassing and this ignorance has got to end. 

A police stopped me yesterday for making an illegal U-turn yesterday. He blatantly asked me for a bribe and then had the nerve to ask me to be discreet while passing the fifty ringgit note to him. Corruption in broad daylight on a Sunday afternoon - another ordinary day in Malaysia. And we speak of progress, transformation, fair and transparent governance...all these are theories and concepts derived from books and speeches. When push comes to shove, we her citizens are all dishonest cheats.  

No comments: