Wednesday, December 26, 2012

the walk home

Written by: AI (Guest blogger) 

This is my first guest post for Bob is Bored. Being at an "interesting" point in my life, I have had ample time recently to reflect on past choices, good and bad, along with all the early morning revelations such reflection brings. I've tried to capture some of these sleepless epiphanies in writing below.

THE WALK HOME, THEN AND NOW

I remember going to agama class when I was a kid, during one of those not-so-frequent times I was actually:

a) in Malaysia; and
b) being a good little boy.

This may surprise some people who know me now, but I did go to agama class back then. You could say I went religiously. Anyhow, agama class was a weekly thing, down the road from our old house. This was back before our neighbourhood had modern conveniences like, you know, streetlights. Walking back home after class at night was a weekly test of my manlihood, which I usually failed. Something about the pitch-black road brought the night to life and sent me running home crying.

Two decades has passed, and I walked back down that road again tonight. It is still poorly lit, though nowhere near as bad as it was back then. I am happy to report that I did not run back home crying this time.

In a sense, we are all finding our way back home in the dark, but as time goes on, we learn to light our own ways. Some lights are bright, and some less so – but they are all our own, and they all lead back home.

No comments: