Friday, December 21, 2012

woes...

I will be heading to Johor Premium Outlet tomorrow and while reviews have been by and large not very promising and unfavorable, I still hold on to the hope of scoring some cool bargains. I am mostly looking forward to visiting Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers - I desperately need more shirts in my closet, preferably shirts that do not require ironing before wear. 

Shirts are a staple in my closet, especially for work, primarily due to it's functionality and practicality. As I live in Malaysia which is perpetually summer, I like to dress to beat the heat which omits lots of stuff like  knits, sweaters, cardigans, blazers and coats. Combined the weather with a 20 minute walk from the train station to the office under the blazing, scorching heat of the unforgiving tropical sun, wearing anything other than cotton (and occasionally silk - if it has been raining) is not an option for me. My weekday uniform consists of shirts (in hues of blue and gray because wearing color on a weekday is tantamount to celebrating an occasion and work is definitely not something to cheer about) and pencil skirts with black or nude heels (and Birkenstocks, while in transit).  

Having said that, I only have 3 shirts that I wear on a weekly basis - everything else languishes at the back of my closet simply because the fit is unforgiving or it was something I bought on a whim, but does not really correspond to my style, which is to dress more like a boy and less like a girl. So no frills or pink for me; stripes are fine but not mandatory. I am not too fussed about collars - they can be stiff or soft. 

I am envious of girls with extensive wardrobes, they never have to repeat their clothes. Their wardrobes are like Doeraemon's pocket - bottomless! How these girls can afford to buy so many clothes is something I will never comprehend so let us not even go there. Nevertheless, tomorrow's shopping list includes:

  • 2 cotton shirts 
  • 1 streamlined work dress in gray
  • 1 blouse in silk or viscose 

These may seem like pared down, basic items but I find that basic items are the absolute hardest to find. All the shops in town are bursting with trendy clothes that do not suit my lifestyle (peplum, sequins, studs, neon) and as much as I love to shop, I sometimes really hate the experience of not being able to find things that you love and will last a long time. 

No comments: