Saturday, October 8, 2011

Death is very likely the single best invention of life.

All those people condemning the global mourning of Steve Jobs ought to be shot for their lack of sensitivity. What is wrong with the outpouring of grief over a revolutionary inventor and respected businessman for his immense contributions to society? Of course, thousands of people die daily, many of which are senseless. Deaths are inevitable and we were born to die. What made his death different from other deaths was that he was an icon, an inspiration to millions of computer geeks and aspriring entrepreneurs. He was courageous. He dared to be different. People may not have a personal connection to him but the emotional connection that a user has with his or her I-Phone / I-Pad / I-Pod may well translate into a personal connection with the inventor himself.

We acknowledge his death and we celebrate his life. Why is this frowned upon by naysayers who critisize that we are over the top with our sentimentality and expressions of grief? Say I meet a friend who's relative has died, would I not say "Sorry to hear about your loss"? My hypothetical friend and his or her relative who died is unknown to me, so should I not extend my condolences? Is this hypocritical? Am I demeaning and belittling the deaths of other people? As if implying that their deaths are not as important?

All these negative people should get a life. They are probably just jealous of Steve Jobs and the fact that when they do die, their passing will never generate such an enormous amount of attention. Changing the world and the way we live is no easy feat. Recognition should be given when it's due. He makes us believe that with determination and imagination, the possibilities are infinite. And that creation of hope itself is trully more profound and life changing than any of his inventions.

No comments: