Sunday, October 23, 2011

wealth maximisation



I've been thinking of starting my own business for a while now ever since the downsizing and restructuring that has taken effect at my work place. Relying solely on employment income these days is just insufficient. Yeah sure, it's enough to sustain your day-to-day living ("kais makan pagi, kais makan petang") but it does not provide you with opportunities to buy stuff and do the things that you really want. I'm constantly amazed by the rising costs of living (yes I know this has got to be the most repeated phrase ever). I don't know if it's just a country specific thing but Malaysia is ridiculously expensive from the perspective of a consumer. Our purchasing power, ringgit and earnings are sub par and low. My monthly income goes to rent, utility bills, parking fees (nothing is for free yo!) car installment, fuel, groceries, a small contribution to my parents, meals and other random, unforeseen and unpredictable expenditures. This does not leave me much money for savings or shopping excursions, let alone money to set aside for travels. How do people afford travelling? It's a legitimate question and one that I would love to have the answer to. Do banks offer short term loans solely for the purpose of travelling? Like a travel loan?

Being in the accounting and finance industry and more specifically, preparing tax returns for rich people, I am aware that some jobs in certain industries are highly well paying. Engineering in oil and gas companies for instance. Those folks in exploration and down stream activities earn six, seven figures per annum (salary, benefits, allowance, etc), inclusive of incentive compensation (restricted stocks, share options, employee purchase plans, etc). Banking is also another lucrative industry with their huge bonuses and other performance related rewards. The rest of us who are unfortunately not engineers, investment bankers, consultants or partners in accounting firms earn a less than marginal income. We are overworked, underpaid and we have zero quality of life. We go through an unlimited amount of stress, conflict and challenges every day. We are expected to deliver, meet and exceed goals, objectives that has been set. Some of us may be rewarded for our hardwork in lieu of a promotion, increment in salary or bonuses. Of course, the possibility that your hardwork may go unnoticed is warranted, if you have zero political skills or ass kissing abilities, you are likely to receive a big fat zero.

Which leads me back to my concern - seeing that my current employment is unprofitable, costly (stress, parking, unpaid overtime ("charity"), etc) and unequitable, I have decided to perhaps start my own business. Probably just a small one first and we'll see how it goes. I'll probably make stuff to sell. My idea - party favors. Of course there's a whole list of issues to consider before commencing (capital, resources, consumer needs, market price, etc) but if I do not start somewhere, I will probably get nowhere. And nowhere is not a destination I desire to be at.

So, stay tuned!!!

No comments: