Monday, October 17, 2011

the week that was

It was the boyfriend's birthday a few days back and I gave him nothing, not even a card. This goes to show what a fantastic girlfriend that I am! He should be soo proud to have me! Coincidentally, my younger brother's birthday also fell on that some day but amazingly enough, I actually found the time to buy, write and send him a card! I am such an awesome sister! But then again, I mooch off my younger sibling aplenty, always demanding requesting him to buy me stuff from overseas, so I should at least return the gesture.

Late last week, I had some administrative issues to be settled with my employers which kept me occupied while I was on leave. My cheapskate employers could not bear to part with their money to pay for my Singaporean taxes (which arose thanks to their decision to second me there during the peak filing season) and thus, I had to adhere cumbersome administrative procedures (obtain the duly signed tax certificate residence from the Malaysian tax authorities, a letter of confirmation from my employer confirming that the costs of my salary were entirely paid by the local entity, and the signed Form IR 21). Thanks to a leech sucking el cheapo professional hell hole, I had to sacrifice my precious study time to partake in a process that will reduce taxes for them but serves no benefit to me, where is the logic in this!!!!!

I spent all of yesterday and most of today stuck in a classroom with 140 other students engaged in a Strategic Management Accounting workshop. I wish I could say I am glad to no longer be a student and in college but come to think of it, the office is just an adult version of high school with the customary cliques and cliches (the popular ones, the nerds, the jocks, the fat guys with caps, the smoking trio, the skinny girls with denim mini skirts, etc). Except that in the working environment, the stakes are much, much higher and there is real and huge money involved. Sadly, the fat guys still exist but at least they no longer wear caps. Apologies for the bias and discrimination against body size (shape) but guys judge women on our bodies all the time so fair's fair.

Oh, I wanted to write about this before I forget - someone told me I had smelly hair. Not very kind words but I guess I really do have an oily (and smelly) scalp. For those with this problem, I recommend washing your scalp with vinegar and lemon. The lemon made my eyes tear and vinegar smells weird but at least my scalp isn't mouldy anymore. Remember to shampoo every day and dry it well afterwards!

No comments: